In the United States, approximately 11 million tons of asphalt waste are generated every year. Various efforts are in place to reduce this amount, but what can you do when you can’t avoid roof replacement? Reuse your old roofing materials! Here are some of the things you can make:
Door Mat From Reclaimed Asphalt Shingles
First, gather all the asphalt shingles you want to use for your doormat. Make sure they are clean and dry before continuing with the following steps:
- Flip the shingles so the rough part is facing down.
- Arrange the shingles in the shape you want your door mat to be.
- Using hot glue, connect the shingles together line by line.
- Wait for the glue to dry.
- Flip the shingles over and paint your door mat with any design you want.
Flower Pots from Recycled Slate Tile
If you have a siding and garden project coming up and have slate roofing tiles lying around, this project is perfect for you!
- Gather four slate tiles. Make sure they are about the same length and height.
- Stack the tiles on top of each other and drill two holes through each side, spaced about an inch from each other.
- Get four rectangular pieces sized 1 x 3 inches. These will be used to bolster each corner of the flower pot.
- Drill the wood bolsters to where holes have already been drilled on each side of the tiles.
- Connect all of the sides.
- For the base, gran another tile, push it to where the four bolsters are located and screw it in.
Painted Hanging Art From Reused Spanish Clay Tiles
This is an ideal activity for the whole family; it’s fun and can result in a beautiful masterpiece you can proudly display inside your home.
- Make sure your clay tiles are clean and dry.
- Apply a base layer or primer onto the clay tiles. This helps the paint adhere better to the surface.
- Paint the tiles however you want. When you’re done, simply let your artwork dry and it will be ready for hanging.
While these projects only let you reuse a small portion of your old roofing materials, every little bit helps. Another thing you can do to help the environment is make sure you work only with a reputable roofing company that’s committed to eco-friendly practices.
Winfield Builders has been offering quality roofing services and more since 1979. To learn more about what we can do for you and your home, simply give us a call at (301) 850-6560 or fill out our online contact form. Ask us for a FREE quote today! We serve Annapolis, Columbia and the surrounding MD communities.